About 125 years ago Christian Missionaries brought homoeopathy to Kerala. Its popularity increased by the effective management of Cholera epidemic in South Travancore in 1920.
HISTORY OF HOMOEOPATHIC EDUCATION IN KERALA
Royal College of Homoeopathic Physicians, Eranakulam established by Dr. Padiar Family was the first to give institutional training in Homeopathy in Kerala. It was established in 1920. It has been developed and renamed as Dr.Padiar Memmorial Homoeopathic Medical College, Chottanikara,This Medical college now has Degree Course. Earlier It had Diploma, and graded Degree courses. The qualification then named was LRCHP ( Licentiate diploma of Royal College of Homoeopathic Physicians).
A four and half years Diploma course, recognized by the Govt. of Kerala was started at Athurasaramam NSS Homoeopathic Medical College, Kottayam in 1958. In 1960 The Govt. started a collegiate hospital attached to this institution for the clinical training of the students. This is the first Homoeopathic Hospital under the public sector in India.
In the year 1928 a resolution moved by Dr. M.N. Pillai in the Sree Moolam Assembly paved the way for the recognization of Homoeopathy as a system of medicine in India. In 1943 Homoeopathy got included in the Travancore Medical Practitioners Act giving equal status to it on par with the existing medical systems. Homoeopathy was also included in T.C. Medical Act in 1953.
The Govt. formed a Board of Examination in Homoeopathy to regulate Diploma course. Subsequently two more colleges were started in private sector at Thiruvananthapuram and Eranakulam. In 1989 the admission to the diploma course was closed 10 years prior to the stoppage at National Level.
In 1975 Govt. started a degree college at Kozhikode, affiliated to the University of Calicut. In 1983 Govt. degree college was started under the University of Kerala in Thiruvananthapuram, and a private degree college at Kottayam affiliated to the Mahatma Gandhi University.
In 1990 Govt. introduced graded degree course for diploma holders to upgrade their qualification. Now there are 9,000 institutionally qualified homoeopaths in the State. Post graduate course in homoeopathy in 3 disciplines viz: Organon of Medicine, Materia Medica and Repertory was also introduced in two Govt. Homoeopathic Medical Colleges in the State. At present there are 5 Homoeopathic Medical Colleges - 2 Govt. owned and 3 Govt. aided. The admission strength for under graduate course in all these colleges comes to 250, and that of the P.G. courses comes to 60. One year Nurse cum Pharmacist course has been introduced to meet the requirements in Govt. institutions which is now a Certificate course in homeopathic pharmacy.
START OF FIRST HOMOEOPATHIC DISPENSARY
The T.C Act was extended to the Malabar area through Kerala Adaptation Rules 1956 when Kerala State was formed. The first democratic Ministry of the Kerala State headed by EM Sankaran Namboothiripad started a Homoeopathy Dispensary under public sector at East Fort Thiruvananthapuram in the year 1958. This is the first Homoeopathy Dispensary under Govt. sector in India. The golden jubilee of this event was celebrated in 2008 .
Now there are 611 dispensaries, 13 district hospitals and 17 taluk hospitals in the state. 325 Homoeopathic dispensaries were started under NRHM Scheme. 29 SCP Dispensaries in Scheduled caste Dominant areas A separate Directorate of Homoeopathy was formed in 1973 first time in India.
There are 13 dispensaries and one hospital under the E.S.I. scheme. Two municipalities and two corporations in the State are having their own Homoeopathic dispensaries. There is a full time functioning Homoeopathy dispensary in the campus of Govt. Secretariat, and a part time dispensaries functioning in the Central Prison, Thiruvananthapuram and Kannur and one NRHM dispensary in M.L.A. Quarters.
A Homoeopathic Pharmacy was started in 1974 under the co-operative sector at Alappuzha (HOMCO). The State Govt. has a major share in this pharmacy. It is supplying all medicines required for the Govt. institutions in the State at subsidised rate, besides to other States and Central Govt. institutions and meeting abroad requirements.
The Kerala State Homoeopathic Co Operative Pharmacy(HOMCO) functions under the administrative control of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare-Govt. of Kerala. It is registered under co operative societies Act1 1969. The major shareholder of the pharmacy is Govt.of Kerala and other shareholders are eminent Homoeopaths of Kerala. Our objective is to manufacture and sale quality Homoeopathic medicines and there by contribute to the growth of Homoeopathy. The manufacturing unit and head office of HOMCO is located by the side of NH 47,Five kilometers to the north of ancient city of Alappuzha. Nearness to the city and transportation facilities are added advantage to the pharmacy.
There are a few other pharmaceuticals also in the private sector.
There is a Central Research Institute at Kurichy (Kottayam District) and a Tribal Research Unit at Moolamattoom (Idukki Dist.) under the CCRH. Central Research Institute at Kurichy (Kottayam District) started in 1974, was declared as Homoeopathic Research Centre exclusively for behavioral disorders and epilepsy in 1988. There is no other research centre for psychiatric disorders anywhere in the country under Homoeopathy.